2011/05/22

Food, glorious food

So tonight I was watching Mo-Chit .... imagine a Thai version of Pasella. So, there the presenters were, chasing after frogs. Groot sports. That I could still live with. What followed I couldn't ... deep fried frog nogal mense! And there they sat, munching on their frog legs and WHOLE FROGS people, WHOLE FROGS. Crunch, crunch, crunch, holding the frog by a leg. And then - zoom camera - onto bowl with stewy looking concoction of frogs and vegetables. Next - zoom camera in on presenter - scooping out the fleshy in-sides of said frog with spoon. .... Ok, if you are still here ... no, definitely not French cuisine. May I never get that hungry.
Next time I'm in Sukhumvit I will take a photo of the goggas they sell there on a cart. Imagine your average huge Joburg cockroach, deep-fried and crisp. And, you should see the succulent, juicy bugs. Yum, yum. Pity I've never tried deep-fried Mopani worms. According to Helen (the British teacher) the only problem with these deep-fried goggas are that you have little legs stuck between your teeth ...  Ok, if you are still here ...
I was slightly bitter today walking past Oishi. Was absolutely dying for some f-i-s-h. At times I am overwhelmed by the urge to see whether my shellfish allergy has not disappeared all by itself. Maybe I should get some Oishi, go to the nearest hospital and just tuck in. How cruel can life be. Sitting with a shellfish allergy in Asia. It's just not fair.
So, instead of Oishi I had deep-fried (yes, so much for the diet) vegetables. Now, do yourself a favor and go plunge some fresh pineapple pieces into a little batter and then deep-fry it. You will be as hooked as I am. But, hark, don't stop there. Go for slithers of sweet potato, slices of banana and, don't forget the pumpkin. Vewy delicious (as the students would say).
Anyway, I am now going to listen to some BigBang and munch on some chocolate covered pistachios while pondering what culinary delights I can explore tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment